Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Fun, Fun, Fun Farm!


While Wayne was running the highway I wandered into Indian Head, pop., approximately, 1500. There was lots going on in this small town on a Saturday afternoon. A tea bazaar was being held in the armories, a new hardware store was holding a grand opening bbq celebration and the main street was closed off to allow people to stroll along to shop or talk to friends. I had an extra bounce in my step as I made my way along Main Street in search of coffee and a place to write in my journal. However, I passed the two coffee shops as I felt propelled to venture to the end of the strip. I came up to a new/used trinkets shop and felt mesmerized standing in front of the quaint little window display. It was nothing out of the ordinary but it was just one of those moments, like, "yeah, this is where I need to be". I'm not really a shopper/browser yet I felt pulled to enter this store. Once inside I looked around for a bit before I was asked by the owner where I was from and how I had come about wandering into her store. We started to talk and sure enough this wonderful lady had lots to say. When she heard about the Cross Canada Run project she piped up about her history of being a foster care parent and the trend in her life to attract mental health causes. People who suffer are drawn to her and she has helped many affected. We kept chatting, I told her about couchsurfing and asked her advice on where we could shower and plug in the RV for the night in her town. Within minutes she was drawing me a map to her farm and inviting us to stay the night! I was blown away and also excited to explore her farm 10 miles north on their isolated land.

The next 24 hours was pure bliss! We had great conversations, a lovely meal and well deserved rest in their comfy, cozy farm house. Dixie and Robert Kleine moved from BC to Alberta to Indian Head, SK over several years after several jobs. They wanted a base after many years of wandering, living out of their funky bus and raising their kids. They found their paradise here on the Kleine Commune! They call it Whoville Farm and there's tons of cool, antique farm stuff, equipment and nick knacks that fit their wacky, free spirited lifestyle. What a wonderful couple! I'm so glad I wandered into Dixie's store that day!

Here's a few pictures to display my absolute gratitude and love for the farm, Dixie and Robert and all their fun, fuzzy friends who gave me hours of enjoyment!





No comments: