Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Backtrack to Cozumel


Some of you have been emailing and asking me how my vacation with my parents went so I thought I would backtrack and let you know we had a fantastic time together in Cozumel. Resort life isn't for me but I thoroughly enjoyed the three days I had with Mom and Rick. When I first arrived I was blown away with the prices in Cozumel. Thankfully, I was able to use a bit of Spanish to bargain my way around. I soon forgot about the exuberant costs when I arrived at my parents resort where an abundance of food, air conditioning and hot showers greeted me. It was like Christmas!!!

It was so nice to see my parents! During the day we went scuba diving and at night we relaxed by the pool or went and watched cultural shows that the resort organized. The diving was not what we had expected but still very enjoyable. The highlight for me was a night dive on my last evening in Cozumel. I saw tons of crabs, lobsters, starfish, eels, parrot fish, and an octopus that changed colours as it moved along the reef. At the end of the dive we all sat at the bottom of the ocean, turned off our flashlights and waved our hands around frantically. Odd? Maybe, but this produces a very interesting reaction underwater. Plankton are everywhere and when water swirls around them they get a little bit stressed out and light up. In complete darkness this creates an underwater light show. Very cool!

Scooter Mama! Mom and I rented a scooter to tour the island of Cozumel and had a blast. Traffic on the island can be a bit crazy but Mom maneuvered her way around like a pro. We went downtown and then scooted along the coast where gorgeous beaches abound. We found ourselves a tranquil spot and went for a little swim. We hadn't exactly planned for the beach so we didn't have any swim gear with us. That couldn't stop these gutsy women! How many people can say they have been scuba diving with their Mom, ridden a motorcycle or scooter with her and gone topless with her at the beach?! I have a very cool Mother.

We also stopped for a Caribbean size margarita at a bar called Coconuts. This bar gives out free drinks to women who show off their "coconuts". Private beach OK, public bar-that's where we draw the line. As you can see from my picture, full price for these ladies. :) They actually had a huge stack of photo albums at the bar in case you wanted to take a gander at all the women who had participated over the years... Far from Cancun, but still playing the same games.

2 comments:

Betty Ann said...

Hi Michelle,
Wonderful blogs. Makes me feel I am right there with you. A little envious tho'. Not enough to have to confess. So much for topless bathing!!!! It's great when you're -A's. Yes you do have a great Mom no doubt about it. I was checking with Mat as I hadn't heard from you and he directed me to your blog. I'll keep in touch this way. This is certainly a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy to the fullest.
Love, Gramma
P.S. Life is wonderful here at camp as well.

Sabrina said...

Hey Michelle,
I love Cozumel, can't say I've seen too much of it, but that's where Dan and I had our first date! Your mom was driving the scooter? That's awesome. I drove a scooter in Greece, but I drove like a grandma!!! Keep enjoying your adventures!