Friday, June 29, 2007

Double Double

Happy Canada Day! Just a quick shout out to my fellow Canucks. While you relax with your 2-4's, go camping or attend a bbq I'll be hiking a volcano, here in Nicaragua. Unfortunately, there aren't many Canadians around but I will do my best and finish my trek with a nice cold one. There aren't any Steamwhistles or Keiths around...Tona or Victoria are the brews of choice.

I am curious what everyone is up to for the holiday and interested what you think being Canadian is all about or for my readers abroad, what do you think being Canadian means? What is the first image that pops into your mind when you think about Canada? A moose? Beer? Lumberjacks? The Canadian Flag? The beaver on the nickel? Voyageurs? Bonhomme (or Mr.Bon Soo)? Hockey?

While Canada is about so much more than furry animals, hardy outdoorsmen and tasty beverages, we often boil our image down to one of these symbols. Canada has grown as a country. Are there new symbols that better represent who we are? Chinatowns, Macaroni and Cheese or Tim Hortons?!

What do you think? Have a good weekend, EH?

1 comment:

Betty Ann said...

Canada is my home. A place where I can be free, loving to all who come, no matter from where to wisit or call it home. I am proud of how we welcome all in this beautiful country. Freedom to me is doing what will make this country better for everyone who lives here and does what is right so that peace and justice will reign. Happy Canada Day to all!!!!