Thursday, April 26, 2007

Happy Feet in Merida




I have now arrived in humid, intimidating Merida, located in the Northern Yucatan state of Mexico. We are now entering the hottest season of the year and I have already experienced 40 degree Celsius weather...not enjoyable. The city keeps me busy with a plethora of activities, galleries, libraries and cafes. Today I visited the Gallery of Contemporary Art where I fell in love with an artist named Castro Pacheco. This painting really captures my love of feet!

I also found a great English library here where I have been spending several hours a day reading and relaxing in the gorgeous garden. Monday evening they hold group actitivies for English speakers so I'm going to check out what all the fuss is about.

I will be staying in Merida for a week before heading to the Caribbean coast to meet up with my parents. Merida is full of fun, free activities...really important for me as I budget scuba diving into my trip. Every night live music concerts are held in several of the downtown plazas. I have also tried to learn salsa dancing at my hostel where free lessons are set up for us awkward gringos. Luckily, Nestor, the dance instructor here, is patient and a really cool guy. Tonight after a Latin Jazz show we are going to meet up, hopefully away from the dance floor as it seems I have been born with two left feet. Qué puede usted hacer? What can you do?

No comments: